Clare Hall at Alverno College was originally built in 1955 as a residence for campus faculty at the time, the School Sisters of St. Francis. The building included a 250-foot long double-loaded corridor, group bathrooms and no open social space. Heat was provided by steam with no air conditioning, no fire protection and only basic fire detection.
The project completed by UWRS included full replacement of all mechanical systems, converting steam heat to a new four-pipe heating and cooling system with dedicated boilers and chillers, plus new electrical and data, new fire alarm and an NFPA 13R fire protection system.
All rooms and common spaces were refinished, group bathrooms were renovated to provide private showers and also made fully accessible. Needed social and study space was created on each floor by removing several rooms to create an open lounge, kitchen, and glass wall study room. This space also interrupted the double loaded corridor and brings daylight in to the center of the hall.