The Turner Ballroom is a two-story, 11,000-square-foot space encompassing the second and third floors of Turner Hall, with a 31-foot by 56-foot raked stage on the east end. From the late 19th to the early part of the 20th century, the ballroom was the centerpiece of German and Milwaukee social, cultural and political life. During its glory days, the ballroom hosted weekly concerts.
Two ceiling fires damaged the ballroom in 1933 and 1941. After over 70 years of neglect, the ballroom was restored in the spirit of public use for which it was originally intended. The ballroom can comfortably handle crowds of up to 600 people.
The greatest challenge was reinforcing the floor. After years of neglect, fire and water damage, the floor structure had deteriorated and required major work. The Turner Hall Ballroom renovation is a perfect example of finding a contemporary use of an old property.